Monday, January 14, 2013


food filled weekend.  I ordered this thing because I wanted a stove that was powerful enough for wok cooking.  Our Wolf range only puts out about 25,000 btus with the wok ring.  This outdoor high pressure propane burner puts out 65,000 btus.  They say a lot of chinese restaurants use between 100k- 200k btus but theres no way I would ever need that kind of power with the home cooking Im doing.  I can barely put this thing past halfway before the oil instantly combusts inside the wok. 


first things first cut off the grating where the red line is so the round wok bottom has a place to sit and doesnt wobble around. Also puts the wok bottom about an inch closer to the burner flame.  Much better design.


Weee!!!!  I love power tools.  Using my angle grinder to cut through the metal like butter.

and  I forgot to take a picture of the wok sitting on the grate but it fits perfectly.  This is a picture with it just resting on the grate from the night before.  That wok is HUUGE.  The fire is perfect.  I love this thing.   I also ordered exension legs which should be here in a day or two so I dont have to do the FOB squat when cooking.  Not that theres anything wrong with that =P  work out them quads.  

I was able to throw in 1.5lbs of beef and the sear was instant.  There wasnt any crowding and everything was cooked the way it should have been without too much steam/moisture ruining the cooking process. 

And then I was going to make this... Alton Browns DIY smoker.  Its two flower pots...

Inside you rig up one of these hot plates

Put a pie tin full of smoking chips on top of the burner and plug it in.  Alton also made a previous version out of a garbage can.  

 Anyhow I bought this and took that crap apart into a bunch of pieces.

 and went to home depot to buy the pots.  Wait a minute the pots are sorta pricey and doing the math I realized it was cheaper for me to just buy this thing...  a charcoal smoker.  But this thing gets terrible ratings.  Mainly the temperature is hard to keep in the ideal range and a lot of people end up modifying them to get them to work.  So I said screw it and did this...

 Took the bottom pan out.   This is whats supposed to hold the charcoal
 drilled 4 holes

and mounted my hot plate.

ran the wiring

tada fires right up!

and mounted the bottom plate back into the smoker.  

put the bowl on top to catch drippings and prevent flare ups!

and bam I now have an 1100 watt electric smoker that can do 220degrees all day long.  Also nice is I can fill the bowl with ice and do a cold smoke for salmon and cheese and stuff.

so now Im ready to WOK AND ROLL!!!  What should we make?!




No comments:

Post a Comment